Thank you for your interest in adopting a Painted Paws for Veterans dog. Please click on the link below to take your first step in the adoption process. Our application is available as a Word document. Clicking on the link below will download the application to your computer, where you can save it and fill it out. After the application is completed, it can be emailed back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or it can be faxed to 719-375-2580.
Completing the application does not obligate you to adopt any particular dog. Nor does it guarantee that you will be able to adopt.
Submitting an application allows us to determine your wants and needs in adopting a companion animal. It also allows us to gather other information to help match you with the right dog. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
1. Our adoption process has three parts: an Application of Interest/Adoption, a home safety check, and a visitation on the ranch. Because the ranch is always very busy, you must be an approved adopter before visiting with our dogs. That means that you must have passed the home safety check and received an email invitation to the ranch.
2. Our adoption fee is $300. This includes all age appropriate medical, such as spay/neuter, vaccinations and micro chip.
3. If you are interested in a puppy under 9 months of age, you must have a puppy plan for training and socialization.
4. Because of past experiences with aggressive dogs, all volunteers now wear a body cam during home safety checks.
5. For families with children under 5 years of age, adoptions are pending based on interactions of the child and dog during meet-and-greets and home checks. Small children should never be left unattended in the same room with a dog. Injury to either party, even though unintentional, can happen very quickly.
6. We have more than one senior dog on the ranch that suffers from severe respiratory issues because of a lifetime spent in a home where their previous owner was a smoker. People are not the only ones who suffer from second-hand smoke. Because of the issues we see them struggle with every day, we do not adopt dogs into homes where there is a smoker. We have been accused of being discriminatory, however, we see first hand what a smoking environment can do to a canine companion.
7. Painted Paws for Veterans reserves the right, at any time, to rescind an adoption if presented with evidence that a dog is in an unsuitable environment, or is being abused or neglected in any way.